Hello Atelier 008
For the grand finale of season one of Hello Atelier, we are so excited to sit down with legendary fashion designer Barbara Hulanicki. From 1964 to 1975, Barbara’s store Biba was where those in the know in London – including the likes of Mick Jagger, David Bowie and Twiggy – went for the best clothes.
Biba Book Giveaway!
Want to see more of Barbara’s work and immerse yourself in the glamorous world of Biba? Enter to win one of six books on Barbara’s work and life! From the decadent Biba Years to Barbara’s fascinating autobiography From A to Biba, you’ll find inspiration 0n every page.
But Biba wasn’t just for celebrities. Barbara’s beautiful clothes – and later shoes, cosmetics, home furnishings and more – were priced low enough for everyone to enjoy them. People flocked to the store to get a little bit of Biba glamour for themselves. In fact, by 1973, Biba was attracting a million visitors a week (!!), and by the time it closed, it had reached icon status.
Barbara didn’t quit designing after Biba. In fact, an opportunity given to her by Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones reinvented her as a successful hotel interior designer. Today, Barbara’s designs are still sought after, and she is endowing everything from wallpaper to t-shirts with her special Biba glamour.
- IconClub: See Barbara’s clothing venture featuring her fashion illustrations and tees, totes and scarves.
- Barbara Hulanicki Design: Visit Barbara’s website to see even more images from her portfolio of work.
- From A to Biba: Barbara’s autobiography tells it all – from her early years growing up in Jerusalem to the height of the Biba years to life after Biba.
- The Biba Years: A must-have book for any design lover. It is filled with gorgeous pictures of Barbara’s drawings, designs and, of course, the store.
- Seamless from Biba: A visual history of Barbara’s design legacy – an all-encompassing look at an amazing product designer.
- Barbara Hulanicki’s Fashion Illustration Workbook: Barbara’s newest book allows you to take her fashion illustrations to the next level. Draw and color on her ideas and images to make your own fashion creations!